Pages

Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Off the wagon. Deep fryer needed

The other day I saw calamari rings in the supermarket and thought we could try to make one of my husband's favourite things to order out, batter fried calamari rings. Which is funny cause he never used to like them, as a matter of fact he used to try to stop me from eating them. Till I finally got him to try it at Gaucho's. Love at first bite. We found a recipe and adapted it to what we had and  it came out really good.


So I used a medium sized bag bag of prepped calamari rings, I think maybe 1lb and seasoned with:
  • garlic powder
  • black pepper
  • complete seasoning (my cooking version of a cheat sheet)
That was left to marinate for around 30 minutes while we got everything else together. We were hungry, next time I might leave it a bit longer.

We also used:

  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups crushed cornflakes (pulsed in a food processor) or panko breadcrumbs (we didn't have).
Each of these went in a separate bowl and we formed a two person assembly line.


Each ring was dipped and covered first in flour,


 then dipped in the egg mixture


and finally covered in the crushed cornflakes 


 Before being deep fried in olive oil (I prefer olive oil, but any oil would be good). 2-3 minutes each side till golden brown. A bit time consuming with our small pot, but we didn't want to use to much oil. And I may have given away our deep fryer in downsizing for our move.

We had it with my husband's version of a tartar sauce, but marinara would be good too. 

Fortunately there was enough of share, fill hubby and fuel me to finish my assignments. And feed him again later in the evening. Not healthy I know, but it was too good to not eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment