Pages

Monday, 10 June 2013

Cornbread

Since moving to our own place in Nassau I find myself baking a lot. One of the things I've done a couple times is cornbread. It's easy, tastes good and often save me from my hit and miss attempts at cooking rice. I do pasta, potatoes a million different ways and all kinds of salads. And this might all stem from my initial attempts at cooking rice ending up like pap. Anyway, back to the cornbread. I use this recipe I got from a Jamaican cookbook and tweak it a bit.

3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
9 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups milk
8 ozs melted margarine or butter
 

I mix the eggs, milk and melted margarine (or butter) together
then add the dry ingredients.
I just put a sieve over the bowl and pour the dry ingredients to it as I measure them out and sift as I go along. Saves me the extra washing up from measuring them out into a different bowl.


I have a mixer, but I found that everything folds together nice and easy with a wooden spoon.


Everything went into an 8x8 inch baking dish
in the oven at 450oF for around 30 minutes 
or until golden brown and a knife or skewer (a toothpick is too short) comes out clean.
Easy, right?


We had it by itself, with butter, as the starch in dinner. It tastes really good with pork chops to soak up the gravy. I'm off today, so maybe later I'll do some to go with the turkey wings I'm planning on doing for dinner. If I don't fall back asleep that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment