Pages

Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Jamaican curry mutton in Nassau

I taught myself to cook curry when I went to Cuba. It was rough doing it without a pressure cooker on a makeshift electric stove. And it took forever, but it's one of my comfort foods. The first time I did it I used to much salt, but was so homesick (and hungry after almost 3hrs) that it didn't even matter. I've gotten better at cooking curry since then, chicken or mutton, though it really should be goat to be Jamaican curry. Sunday I was feeling a bit homesick, so I decided to make curry goat. Of course I don't know if it was goat, so it was curried mutton and I had curry powder that my mommy brought me. Yeah, I know but, 1. the curry here tastes different 2. Grace curry powder is expensive (relatively) here in Nassau and 3. I'm a momma's girl.

 I seasoned around 1 1/2 lbs of mutton with
2 scallions
1/2 onion
curry powder
all purpose seasoning 
garlic powder
I tend to eyeball everything and sometimes I go by how it smells.

 I heated 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker and burnt maybe 1 tsp of curry in it before adding the meat and fried that for maybe 5 minutes

before adding 4 potatoes,

and then some water.


 After 45 minutes of pressure cooking, the curry had this nice golden colour.

 I thickened the gravy by crushing a few pieces of potato.



There was just enough left over for dinner again yesterday. Almost as good as Sunday dinner home, and I know I'm not the only Jamaican in Nassau who feels that way at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment